BARBIEOLDNEWGREENREDO--JUST A GRANNY HAVING FUN WITH DOLLS< DIORAMAS STORIES AND DIY

BARBIEOLDNEWGREENREDO

Washday and some FUN FINDS

Ad-Free Blog

Dreary weather always makes me want to do some project that has been sitting around. 

My progress in the basement has been slow...but I have been going through everything, including purchases and bins of clothes. I always have a bag for repairs or stained/soiled clothing and accessories sitting on the desk. 

Well, my bag was getting full, so I needed to wash some things out!

barbieoldnewgreenredo

Since so many of my doll clothes are from thrift stores, many are in need of special care, especially vintage (1950-80's). 

I love the vintage red clothes---but, they almost always bleed into trims and everything else.  Reds must only be soaked in red batches in warm or cool water with soap and no bleach.

I use 1-2 Tbsp of Arm and Hammer Liquid with Oxyclean to gently soak all my doll clothes in a 2 quart or so container. I use the same on our clothes---we have well water and this seems to counteract any issues we have.
 
I NEVER put doll clothes in the washer, or in bags in the washing machine. I always hand wash gently.

barbieoldnewgreenredo

This batch was a red/browns in cool water.  I also did blues/greens in hot water, a pink-prints batch in hot, and two separate white batches in hot, one for added bleach and one without. I use all my metal and plastic kitchen bowls for this. 

WARNING: HOT WATER can de-flock any flocked materials, same with some metallics and increase or disintegrate leather type fabrics.  Do use cool water for those items. (I've had good luck with car cleaner for vinyl upholstery.)

 If an item is semi-trashed it's worth taking a risk. I take the attitude, if it is dirty or stained it is no use to me, so....no holds barred on trying to get it clean. 

Everything in these batches seemed to come clean. Rinsing is the most tedious. I rinsed at least 3 times, squeezing out as much water and also under the faucet as well as the entire sink full of cool water.

barbieoldnewgreenredo

I hang everything up to try after finger straightening the fabrics. I'm fortunate my husband placed two towel racks on the sides of my upper cabinets over the sink. Some string woven back and forth and I have an extensive mini-clothes line. 

barbieoldnewgreenredo

Be careful when placing different colored items next to each other, again watch for bleeding. Dish strainers and colanders are also great ways to do dry clothes.

barbieoldnewgreenredo

The Fashion Queen swimsuit isn't going to make it...it was disgusting and all the metallic on the bottom half disintegrated. It was in really bad shape, I may rescue the belt to use for something else.

barbieoldnewgreenredo

Everything is set to dry sopping wet, or you can roll them all inside folded towels to remove the excess water. 

I even bleached the white shoes...that were so disgusting. I had added 2 tablespoons of bleach to a bowl of water for soaking.
This project took over 2 hours...but it is a Zen sort of activity...and I finally got my garden nails totally clean!

NOW---I haven't found my mini-iron---sigh...! But the knits are all ready to go as they dried!

I do mending after washing, this batch was pretty good, just a few missing snaps and a seam or two to fix.

HERE IS MY FIND for the WEEK!

 My 2022 convention table host was Hande Balleweg, who does divine crafts and accessories for Barbie. She came up with these adorable handbags and coordinating shoes...I love the details...so much fun. 

If you need to get these you might be able to contact her on Facebook. So cute, reasonable and carefully shipped and wrapped! I can't say enough about how super these are. Thanks, Hande!

Do You WASH and REPAIR 
 DOLLS' clothes?

All the opinions and photographs on this blog are my own, unless otherwise stated. 

PLEASE do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission. 

BLOG PARTIES:

 I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinion,
 or with products shown, or from where I shop. 


Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle

Sandi







6 comments:

  1. Those doll purses are amazing! Great detail-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn...they are adorable...can't wait to stage a buyer with them...hmmm could it be movie Barbie? lol.

      Delete
  2. I've rarely had to wash doll clothes. The dolls have so many clothes now, there's lots of stuff they've never even worn twice! Once I was given a box of dolls and doll clothes which I washed then donated. But given how fragile those little garments are, I hope I will never have to wash them. Some of my older clothes I might take apart and make into new ones. On the other hand, the doll shoes I have...particularly the ones from Integrity Toys are so fragile they do disintegrate with time. I will try to restore, re-purpose them in any way I can. When the finish wears away, my last ditch effort is to dip them in.....glitter!!!!! Big hugs. April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly at the price of Integrity, you would think their goodies wouldn't disintegrate. I am continually surprised at how well the Mattel 50-60 year old items clean up. Biggest issues is nickel snaps and of course anything flocked, metallic, or fake leather. But while not 'instyle' now---adult vintage togs in real life here are quite in vogue. My BFF and I are going to a high tea next week, and I'm hoping to take two dolls, LOL. just for fun! Oooh, and thanks for visiting me! Love hearing from you.

      Delete
  3. I had to smile when you said you were taking 2 dolls to a high tea. Our former minister is a biker and ALWAYS rode his bike in the local Toys for Tots toy run. SOOO, for several years I would get (usually a blond) a Barbie or two to donate so he had a blonde on the back of the bike with him! I've never had a big batch of dollclothes to wash but I have used my collander to dry lots of little things; we have a hot air furnace so I just put it over a register! And I have been known to put simple doll clothes in a lingerie bag and throw it in the machine! If my mother had ever known I did that with panty hose, I would have gotten a severe lecture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the barbie/princess gowns, I don't even attempt....since they are crappy fabrics to begin with...love the bike story. Hugs, Sandi

      Delete

Thanks so much for each and every comment, and I will try and answer any questions you may have.