Hi, readers. Colette has allowed me to post some photos of her new wardrobe. I'm calling this her summer collection, (I'll be lucky if I get it all done in summer).
Part of the challenge of sewing for dolls is the thickness of some fabrics. This was a nice rayon blend with a silky finish. In some lights it shows purple/black, others gray/black.
Looking through all my patterns, I found this dart fitted jumpsuit in Simplicity 9697. I bought this 1971 pattern off the internet as a download and printed at home.
The larger busted TNT was issued in 1967, and definitely is larger in the bust than Jazz Baby Colette
I did not include Fashionistas or Model Muse (which is probably close to Jazz Baby) because I can't get their heads off fast enough onto other bodies.
Altering the size of the pattern which is 4 pieces, it was easy to fit the bodice moving the stitching line 1/4"more on the seam allowances, especially down the front center. I also took off excess at the hips as this was a generous fit, and Colette wants everything fitting perfectly.
Because this pattern printed small( about 3/8" off) I added length to both the legs (1 1/4")
I tied up this 'chinchilla' look fur piece, with enough dramatic flounce to keep Colette happy. (The Chinchilla is a from fuzzy yarn-no label, I bought in a thrift store.
This pattern is from 1971 and was designed for Barbie and all the other 11-11 1/2" dolls of the times. The retro looks last spring in the stores were filled with casual and dressy jumpsuits. Of course Colette wants everything dressy.
But, Colette also wanted something casual.
This pattern was quite roomy but still short. The stiffer cotton, worked well with the wider legs. Back in the 60's these were called hostess gowns.
This 1965 Simplicity 6208 pattern, I got as a download. So many different teen model dolls climbed on the Barbie bandwagon in the 1960's: Annette, Mitzi, Gina, Kay, Polly jr., Babs, Midge and Misty, UK had Sindy. As far as I know the only one that still exists is Barbie's cohort Midge.
Anyway home sewing was big for Barbie in the 60's, as clothes were quite expensive. I always thought it amazing that a $2.00 doll had wardrobe pieces over $5. A child's school dress at Penneys was $2.99 in 1960.
This pattern is an early fashion doll pattern from 1965, Simplicity 6208 I got in a download. Look how many different teen model dolls climbed on the Barbie bandwagon in 1965: Annette, Mitzi, Gina, Kay, Polly jr., Babs, Midge and Misty. As far as I know the only one that still exists is Midge.
The best source I found for Barbie like dolls in old catalog pages, take a peek, https://somethingabouttheboy.com/vintage/vintage-clones/.
This pattern did print full-size and was quite generous, probably to fit all those different dolls. I still had to add 1 1/4 " in leg length, though the shoulders and hips were close to Jazz Baby size, I needed to lose a lot in the bust again. I fitted as I went along. The darts were kept the same. I joined the shoulders and left the rest of the seams open and began pinning, keeping in mind I couldn't steal from the underarm seams.
Fitting with pins you can see how I removed 1/2" of the bust by increasing the seam allowance by 1/4" on the center seem, which is x 2 =1/2". I used a long basting stitch at first to see how the fabric would lay and fit, then machine sewed.
With the front seam sewn, (not trimmed) I can see it's a pretty good fit. TIP:(Don't alter at the armholes which were perfect for Jazz Baby, so the reduction had to come in the center seam).
With the front fitted and the sides still open, I laid the jumpsuit open and flat on some lining fabric and made a one piece facing.
I like making one piece facings, especially for neck, back opening and armholes. It eliminates bulk and top stitching showing. Again the facing pattern is drafted from the actual altered fabric pieces with the shoulders sewn.
Carefully sew on the armholes (leave sides open), then up the back and around the neck all one seam and down the back. Carefully clip/and pinking shear the seam allowances, this will give the cleanest look on the outside. Roll the legs tightly and pin bottom edge, then thread back through the shoulders to turn the jumpsuit inside out. Press facing edges carefully, and then sew up your sides, facings, and back. I fitted the back by turning under the finished faced back edge, and then used two hooks and hidden thread loops to give the smoothest fit.
Colette says she loves these retro looks for the Mattel Jazz Baby body.
Thank you for visiting, I will try and answer every question and comment.
Please follow me at these great blog parties:
Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi