We took a mini-vacay this week, so I'm still catching up.
When work was still being done on most of the shop. (originally posted 2018), I'm hoping to continue this long as we have readers. Below, you never know what you may find in a thrift store---definitely peruse the frames...I've picked up windows, doors and even a bench...from frames.)
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Vickie found this great door at a thrift shop (it's a photo frame) and the scale is perfect.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
We Painted one coat of silver over the red...left it blush just a bit.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Then I added some gel-medium (you can also use watered down modge-podge) to some Charcoal Gray acrylic paint(think craft paint--I avoid Apple Barrel--it's thin and pigment lacking) and then quickly painted and then immediately wiped it off with paper toweling, and let it sit over night. This technique is called glazing.
The girls put on sticker letters and Victorian flourishes. Here, Vickie cleans the residuals off the glass.
In the Bridal Boutique, the closets are ready to set up.
Tutorial on painting plastic doll closets is here.DIY Doll Closets.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo The girls filled the spaces with color grouped clothes---The full skirts really eat up the floor space. Hose, shoes and accessories were added to the shelves. Everything a party girl may need, well we need more accessories here. |
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo Where the handles were on the top of the closets, were two raised screw holes---I put a piece of bent coat hanger into the holes to display dresses on. Double- stick tape holds shoes on small squares of white cardboard, easier for moving around and not permanent. Luckily my basement walls are gray and extend the 'look' of the shop. We are just a foot from the real basement ceiling and the vent is above, so I block the whole shop off with a piece of foam-core to keep it clean, when not in use. |
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
The first cabinet on the left ended up being all pink/maroon. Goodness, Mattel's heavy on pink.
The Mirror guy--WAS still slacking off. (lol, me)
(In 2023 and now this area on the left and along the stairs holds Tuxes and Ken's seasonal dress clothes-below)
Carpet on the second floor was cut from new placemats. Other furnishings,...
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
the benches were cut from an existing deep box thrift store frame. These were made so easy, two cuts for Hubby's mitre saw and then I used silver spray paint.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
They benches were supposed to be for customers to sit, but Vickie crashed and took a nap---sigh, what a slacker...lol.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Original 2018, these were odd thrift store finds---the desk/pencil cabinet, added a top, (a fairy garden fence), and the body jewelry stand was perfect fashion doll size.(This poor doll tipped over and broke---and eventually replaced by 2 Gray doll Mannequins,)
(The DIY post for mannequins HERE.)
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
This cabinet is still handy for jewelry, hair accessories, mini purses or fill the cabinet with toiletries. It changes with the seasons. (We still use this and it what it holds is always different)
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
The Jewelry doll form had a few purses and a low profile wedding dress. We added some bling and it was fab! (I was limited as to what I type of dress I could display on this.)
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Another thrifted jewelry stand----white and holds everything.
2026 note: This piece was purchased second hand. But, they are still available reasonable on Temu in black and for $$$ at Michaels, but just a spray away makes it a perfect fixture in your color choice.
And it still works wonderfully, I can have multiple shoppers around it, spin for photos, and usually has a seasonal display on top with three separate outfits.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
This 'First Display' was color and style coded and filled with fashions, purses and belts. Even some room for suitcases below.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Carly kept busy cleaning the last of the construction dust. The cabinet behind her, held swimsuits, underwear, and camisoles. (This cabinet has been replaced with acrylic box designed for real life organization.)
as shown today below.
It's fabulous for a seasonal displays---mixing clothes and accessories! (Last Fall). It was a thrift store makeup organizer.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
I freshened this checkout (thrift store) with some silver tape, black contact paper, and some white stickum paper in the cubbies.
(It's still the perfect counter with a working money drawer, phone, and charge card 'bings' when it is used.)
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
The Grand loved it. I didn't do anything on the back. ($1.99 was a steal). Oh, the girls store bags in the holes below.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
The shoe shelves was two shadow boxes with glass covers, I pulled off the covers and reset the hinges so the cubby parts are hooked together and it can be used straight or cornered.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Eventually the corner set up was perfect for the shoe shelves. Here, Zoe straightened all the shoes and purses in here. (Now I only keep shoes in here), purses are designated in this display, below)
The bottom piece was thrifted and has 5 shelves, which switches out. Fall and Winter has lots of boots, so we need more room. The second shelf was purchased from $ store and works great as most purses fit inside) .
The whole thing is taped together and stuck to the wall. Or, one bump and you get a cascade of accessories on the floor.
(2026 This is still the favorite of my doll blog. We switch it out maybe 3-4 times a year...and it's great having shoes and accessories easily accessible for quick changes.)
(back to the story)
Upstairs hums with an Undetermined Sound: Zzzzzzzzz-Zzzzzzzzzz-Zzzzzzzzz.
Zoe: What is that! (She looks around)
Zoe: Carly can you hear that noise...?
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Zoe: Never mind, I think it is coming from upstairs! I'll check.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Zoe: Vickie---it's time to wake up----we open in a couple of hours.
Vickie: Uh, ....oh...? What time is it?
Zoe: Almost 5, you had better go home and change! The Grand Opening Party at 7pm.
![]() |
| barbieoldnewgreenredo |
Vickie: Okay, Ladies----hold the fort. The flowers still have to arrive and the mirror guy. I'm going home to take a shower, um...everything looks great and thank you so much for everything you both do!
Carly: Sure, hurry back and please bring coffee. We sure need some.
Vickie: Anything for my team. If Joe calls, tell him I'm on the way home.
(Next---I think the Grand Opening...and tour)
All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.
All the opinions and photographs in this blog are my own. I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions, posts or any products shown or anywhere I shop.
Thanks always for visiting.
I will try and respond to every comment and answer every question.
Please do not use photos without linking back to this blog without my permission.
Sharing at these fine blog partie!
Thank you for your cooperation, Sandi Magle
Sandi

























No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for each and every comment, and I will try and answer any questions you may have.