This past week has been busy with the remodels. I'm calling the first floor in the townhouse, a great room. since it is now a totally open floor plan: with dining, kitchen, family room, and with a study corner being planned.
Since I want to put a more contemporary spin on the townhome, I had to work in some custom cabinetry to utilize the space efficiently. I used the measurements of the kitchen cabinets and the space I had available...so if you do constructions, make them fit your own spaces.
The left white wall screams for cabinetry, but since there is a fireplace on the second floor I decided against one on the first floor.
Hubby cut some 3/8" plywood and masonite strips and pieces for me. I had lots of small wood pieces of mini-lumber to use for construction braces to square up the 'box' that would be the pantry cabinet next to the kitchen.
We've designed and put together 3 IKEA kitchens in the last 5 years, I wish mini cabinets were that easy. LOL, anyway. Construction was pretty simple. I did have to
notch the back top of the cabinets to slide into the house. I did glue and nail the three main cross braces at the top, center and bottom.
I used an E600 type glue which sets up pretty quickly to hold and then cures in 24 hours. This flexible type glue work pretty well, as you can adjust a bit before it begins to set up. I had so many issues with the small bookshelf---I wasn't real interested in pounding more nails that failed and split the plywood shelves from the side.
So I used glue.
I glued smaller braces in for the shelves, front and back, and then glued the shelves in also. Trickiest part was the hinges. I stole some extra hinges from some folding picture frames which matched some in my stashes.
It's hard to see, but I used an Exacto knife to score around the edges of the hinges on the front door. Then I carefully chiseled out one layer of the wood so the hinge would fit flush into the front door. The tips of the hinges poke through the door, but are easily filed/sanded off, and will be covered with paint.
I'm still considering more trim, but decided to finish as is, and if needed later I can always add something.
I used glue bottles to weight down the shelves overnight to set the whole thing up. I finished the top door the next day!
I filled/sanded all the edges, and did a paint blitz of the rest of the pieces being used in the room. Two coats of acrylic satin gray paint worked well. I happen to love white insides in cabinets so I did that in the pantry. The open box will be for appliances, either a microwave or a coffee pot?
The color difference is the light streaming into the house. It looks like a well-balanced useful kitchen area.
The box in the middle was was the perfect size as is, so I just painted and added some nice quartz counter top. It's proportions worked so well with the other pieces. The small upright shelf on the left was a nightmare to make---and I will never take closeups of it, LOL. Filled with useful items, this wall will be a great addition for the home and great room.
And now to the Next Custom Project!
If you enjoyed this post(s), please join me by email- at
FOLLOW IT---upper right hand corner.
I have not been paid or reimbursed in anyway for my opinions or products shown, or from where I shop.
Please Join me at these Fine Blog Parties!
The cabinets look great! And I'm ready for a little of that nice weather peeking out the window:@)ReplyDelete
What nice weather, LOL! It's pretty white out there right now..>I opted for the 8 months of the year photos...LOL.!thanks for stopping by! SandiDelete
I am so impressed. Ok, so this is one house...and clearly this is not the only thing you've ever constructed. So tell me, what happens to all the little buildings? Do you have a little village stored somewhere in your house or garage? Inquiring minds want to know. P.S. So nice that your husband is complicit!ReplyDelete
I have the Grand Hotel(Grandview) that is down. Vickie/joe's apartment (two 4'foot shelves) 2 small townhouses put together as one unit, the tall townhouse and the Victorian Mansion are all up on two doors on shelf supports. Vickie's front door/Trish's garden center is on one work table and is taken down until Spring. Vickie's Vintage is permanent and on a set of drawers, and then I have my Grand's dollhouse in the other room that came back here in November. I haven't done anything with that.(She outgrew it--and they are in a townhouse without extra space.) The rest of my dioramas are all collapsible (like pattern pieces) and can go up and down easily. I'm at the point of having to choose what to put up now---so I can deal with the excess bits and bobs-and then find homes for some of it. I do have several small foldable homes to work on...and refurbish but I have to have room to put them up???? So- That's the goal...and Hubby has a two story 2 1/2 car garage to play in...LOL. Only reason we are surviving Covid and retirement still together (53 years)..Hugs, SandiDelete
I love seeing your progress--and the process! I really like the cabinets and it will be awesome to see them done. Years ago I got some fridge magnets of a blender, crock pot, coffeemaker. That type of thing would be perfect for your kitchen. Kathy AReplyDelete
Thanks, Kathy. Yes, I have quite a few 'magnets' appliances, and they are very detailed and they show up in thrift stores now and then! Thanks for visiting, and I hope to get the townhome 'listing'(fictitious) ready for potential families to look at next week! SandiDelete
I love that you shared this post and your other posts about making items for a doll house. I now have a granddaughter and have been considering starting a similar project for her. Looking forward to seeing more. #HomeMattersPartyReplyDelete
Thanks so much, this all started when our Grandgirl was 3 or so---she seems to have grown out of Barbie, but Gramma hasn't ...LOL!Delete